Blogging from Kaingaroa

October 31, 2004

Into the Field!

We got up Sunday and headed straight out for the field. Rich had gotten reports of falcon sightings so we went right out to check on them. On my first day we found 3 falcon nests, which Rich said was a record high! Apparently I bring good luck. Finding the nests is pretty exciting. The falcons don't really appreciate visitors, so they do their best to scare you off. Standing over a nest is a tiny bit like standing on the deck of the USS Arizona with Japanese Zeros coming in. The pair of them zoom in a high speeds from different sides, screaming out their alarm call. It is really impressive.

I wanted to get pictures, but there was too much going on to try and worry about that. At one point, one falcon tried to shake hands with me, but missed. I do have a picture of that, which I will post when I get the chance. Overall, a very exciting start and it is only my first full day in country!

Happy Halloween!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home