Blogging from Kaingaroa

December 14, 2004

Phase 3

We are already on to Phase 3, which is one of the longest and most important parts. This is the radio tracking, which will reveal where the falcons hunt, and what and how often. We can also see if falcons share territory at all. It should be less gruelling and more fun than the nest searching. We will have to wait for the falcons to take off and then follow them by truck as best we can. There are plenty of tracks out here, but some of them are pretty shocking. I am certainly getting a lot of 4WD experience out here.

I have done radio tracking on a couple projects before and it is not rocket science, but I have never tracked moving targets before. I think it will be a lot faster and less precise. With roosting bats, they sit still, so you can easily work your way toward them. These falcons will keep moving, so I will have to be quick about it. I hope it works!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home