Blogging from Kaingaroa

March 27, 2005

Christchurch

Christchurch is the largest city on the South Island (350,000 I think), positioned halfway down on the east coast. It is a really attractive city, although I am not sure how much there is to actually do. I enjoyed the giant Hagley Park, where I saw people playing cricket (pic below, cricket explained here) and punts (gondolas) plying the waters of the picturesque Avon River. It also has a number of museums and outlets for arts and crafts. There is a suburb called Sumner which has a really nice beach and some short hikes, which is where I saw this mass gathering of sailboats. I don't know what that was about, perhaps some sail boat mating ritual. Additionally, the Banks Peninsula extends into the sea from Christchurch. It is supposed to be a really nice place to visit, but there are fewer transportation options, and I didn't really have time.

Christchurch

Posted by Hello

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home