Blogging from Kaingaroa

May 10, 2005

Goat Island

After the Bay of Islands, I visited the tiny town of Leigh, which is by the Goat Island Marine Reserve. I went snorkeling here and got to see a good variety of fish It is much better than Whangaroa or Pahia for seeing sea life. The Reserve looks a little small, but it is much bigger than I can swim. Unfortunately I got too cold after 45 minutes and had to quit. This is the only picture I took since my camera is not waterproof.

Before I went snorkeling, I stopped at the restaurant next to the hostel and asked about where to rent snorkeling gear. One waiter (who I had never met before) said I should just take her gear instead, and another waiter (who I had never met before) said he could drive me out to the Reserve, which is a couple miles away. Not only was it really friendly and generous of strangers, but I didn't even ask. They just offered. I got a similar reception a lot of places I went. Cheers mates!

Posted by Hello

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home