Blogging from Kaingaroa

May 16, 2005

Hahei

From Whitianga, I headed down to Hahei, which is smaller and closer to Cathedral Cove. Of course, I headed back to the beach again. This time I reached Cathedral Cove by foot. It is a major tourist spot, but it was late in the season and late in the day, so I ended up getting the whole place to myself. One idyllic feature is that the adjacent Mare's Leg Cove has a natural shower. A tiny stream pours over a cliff just up from the water. After you swim, you can wash the salt off here. On the same walk I stopped at Gemstone Bay at twilight and watched cliff swallows hawking for insects above the water. There were a lot of them and it was a good end to the day.

Here is me at Cathedral Cove, and a high-angle view of another beach, a little farther north. Imagine all those trees covered with red flowers in December. I think Hahei might be a cozier place than Whitianga, but I wasn't really there long enough to say for sure. Fewer grocery options though.




Posted by Hello

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home